The consequences of drink-driving in Scotland
The consequences of drink-driving can be life-changing. The amount you’ve had to drink makes no difference. Whether just over the limit or well over the limit, in the eyes of the law you are still a convicted drunk-driver and a criminal.
Police Scotland stop more than 20,000 drivers every month. So when it comes to drink-driving – the best approach is none.
One drink before driving can:
- Impair your reactions putting you and others at risk of being involved in an accident
- Get you a criminal record
- Mean you’ll lose your licence (for at least a year)
- Get you an unlimited fine
- Get your car seized and crushed
- Possibly put you in prison
On a personal level, a drink-driving conviction can:
- Lead to unemployment
- Cause you humiliation and guilt
- Negatively impact your relationships with family and friends
Remember, if driving the day after drinking:
- Alcohol stays in your system longer than you think
- The same consequences apply if you’re caught over the limit the next day
Don’t drink and drive.